Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Shelf is Done

My perpetual organization ideas include replacing the makeshift shoe shelf we have in the entryway with something taller to make more use of the wall there. I came across the perfect shelf on my new favorite website, Ana White: Homemaker. She's a gal who drafts up projects and inspires women everywhere to pick up power tools and try their hand at carpentry. She drew up plans based on the general store cubbies from Pottery Barn (below).



I knew it probably wasn't the best time to take on a new hobby (new baby, husband in school, other projects that need finishing, record-breaking heat outside), but I just couldn't stop thinking about it. So I went for it. And you know all those sayings about things taking more time and costing more than you think...yep, all true. But the feeling of building something and having it (gasp!) stay together and (even better) look like the picture I was inspired by is pretty satisfying.

I wanted to build a second one to stack on top of this one, and I know it would go so much faster this time, but I just can't get up the energy. We'll see.



In progress. Foolishly, I thought I was pretty much done at this point. 4 coats of white paint + 3 coats of polycrylic later was when I decided there would be no second shelf.




Skills gained:
  • selecting and buying wood (and getting it into my trunk)
  • figuring out the logistics of assembly (why don't I have 3 hands?)
  • changing out drill bits
  • drilling pilot holes
  • countersinking screws
  • using wood filler over the screw holes
  • distressing edges
Senya and Ivan loved working on it with me. They handed me screws and drill bits. Ezra helped by taking naps.


3 comments:

  1. The shelf is beautiful Jamie! What a cute idea to build something like that. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see it!!! Well done, my friend, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Jamie work on this shelf. Sometimes she would just catch 10 minutes here or half an hour there in order to work on the shelf. Looks lovely Jamie!

    ReplyDelete