Sunday, August 14, 2011

Wish We Were There

Sadly, we didn't make it up to Canada this summer for vacation. Trent could only get a week off from work because he'd had to take a week off for his school trip to Washington DC (and took more time off when Ezra was born). Since it takes a day to fly and usually another day to drive out to the lake where Trent's family vacations (and then again in reverse at the end of the trip), a week is a pretty tight turnaround.

We brainstormed lots of different plans where I would fly up separately with the kids or Trent would work remotely or we would all fly up separately...We tried so hard to make it work, but it was just getting way too complicated. Trent's mom, Wyona, was really creative and offered help in a lot of different ways, but we finally decided to wait until Christmas to go up. Dell shuts down for the week of Christmas, so it's like we get a bonus vacation week.

And as much as I like escaping the oppressive Texas heat in August, there is something to be said for experiencing real winter weather (and snow!) in Canada in December. I honestly love the cold (though I've never had to shovel a driveway or drive much in it), and Trent thinks I'm crazy or bluffing or both.

In any case, here are some pictures from last summer that I never posted. It really makes me wish I was there right now!

At the shore of Morraine Lake, my favorite place in Banff. Look at the color of that water!



Aunt Zoe and Senya at Lake Louise. Trent and I honeymooned in this area; gorgeous, gorgeous!



Looking down from the gondola ride up Sulphur Mountain. My brothers Thad and Jared (in the car behind us in the picture) went with us last summer, so we stopped to see some of the best sights on our drive out to the lake.




Thad and Jared, at the top of Sulphur Mountain.



An exotic chicken at a nearby petting zoo. See resemblance to brother Thad above. Both of my brothers take pride in their hair and they each had a chicken twin who felt the same way at this place, but I didn't get a picture of Jared's!



Pure bliss!



Ivan and cousin Audra (4 months older) playing a fun game: Ivan climbs up on the stool and waits for Audra to push him over the arm of the couch.



Senya playing down at the beach.



Ivan and Aunt Tonia experimenting with "Indian Paint" rocks. Aunt Tonia was generous enough to let Ivan draw all over her with it to see how it worked.



All of Trent's family on the "train rock." This is a gigantic boulder in the yard where the kids run whenever a train comes by. There are tracks at the bottom of the mountain by the lake, and standing on top of the rock offers the best view.

Fond memories...




2 comments:

  1. The pictures Jamie, could have been this year. I certainly missed your family. Next year we won't let you miss but we will love Christmas with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the pictures as well. You stopped on the way through the Rockies at some of the high points of that trip -- Lake Louise and Sulpher Mountain. Next time ... maybe Hemlock Grove or Giant Cedars or Skunk Cabbage Boardwalk to see that the Canadian adventures never stop.

    Pray for snow at Christmas. Then your children can toboggan their hearts out.

    Arta

    ReplyDelete