For a long time, I thought watching a movie at home was the cop-out date night, but now it's what I really love. Trent and I started off the evening with "Breakfast at Tiffany's" which we thought was a classic, but just turned out to be weird. We bailed after 15 minutes and browsed the "Watch Instantly" options on our Netflix queue and found "Alamar."
We loved this, and our respected critics at Rotten Tomatoes agree. Here's part of their synopsis:
"Jorge and Roberta have been separated for several years. They simply come from opposite worlds: he likes an uncomplicated life in the jungle, while she prefers a more urban existence. He is Mexican and she is Italian, and she has decided to return to Rome with their five-year-old son, Natan. But before they leave, Jorge wishes to take young Natan on a trip, hoping to teach him about his Mayan origins in Mexico."
Why we liked it:
- has a simple, but genuine story
- is set at the pace of real life--the kind that I like for kids (not edited every millisecond)
- provides a fascinating peek into one culture's unique lifestyle
- is full of beautiful footage of a Mexican seaside by the Carribbean
- makes you think, but is not overly sentimental
- filmed as a hybrid documentary (actors play themselves, only partially scripted)
Want to watch the trailer? Find it here.

Oh, man, I am so glad that I'm not the only one who watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" thinking, "Whaaaatttt????"
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review. We'll have to check it out.
Here is another one that you both would enjoy. Canadian abroad and our innocence in other cultures: Cooking with Stella
ReplyDeletehttp://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/03/18/f-cooking-with-stella.html