Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cereal Box Marble Run

If you haven't heard of Made By Joel, check it out right now. He's an artist dad who makes the neatest toys for his kids--out of wood, paper, anything. Some of them obviously require a lot of skill; others can be made by pretty much anybody. Senya and I tackled one his most popular ideas during one of Ivan's rare naps: the Cereal Box Marble Run. Get the full tutorial here.

Here's our version:

Senya with a goofy smile holding the empty cereal box with the top taped shut and the front cut off (leaving a lip at the bottom).




We cut the front panel into three strips, cut notches in each one, then folded the ends up to fit in the box at an angle. Then we taped them in with the notches alternating sides, and cut a hole in the top for the marble.



Trying out the finished product. The marble rolls down each ramp and drops through the holes to the next level. The kids couldn't get enough of this!

3 comments:

  1. What a great game and all done with reused materials. Keep playing and I love the new honeycomb shapes at the top of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! What a great idea and I'm going to bookmark Joel's blog now that I have the address--thanks! Also, I'm really loving the new blog header design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fun! I hope I can use the run in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete