Sunday, July 19, 2009

Garden Bounty


To say we're "gardeners" would be a stretch...













but we can say that we've successfully grown living things (which several houseplants can testify hasn't always been the case). We are very low-maintenance gardeners, and probably should water and weed much more than we do, but we had such fantastic beginner's luck last year that we are hesitant to change anything. I love the idea of growing as much produce as possible (especially after reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" about a family living for a year off of food they grew themselves or bought locally), and especially love this time when we are harvesting all our goods.


Senya is an enthusiastic helper, and I'm convinced that seeing the vegetables grow start to finish plays a large part in the amount of vegetables she likes to eat.

We currently picking buckets of cherry tomatoes and green peppers (our zucchini is about done, I think) and are waiting to see if any eggplant will turn out.

We have yet to grow more than we could eat (if we really get overrun with tomatoes, we'll make up a big batch of spaghetti sauce to freeze, but that's about it), so I haven't ventured into canning or anything that ambitious although it sounds interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment