Our last day in India started off at 5:00am with a camel ride in the desert. We couldn't come to Pushkar, home of India's largest camel fair and not honor it somehow!
Our guides--one of them rode with each one of us on our own camel.
I thought it a little puzzling how there had been such an difference in gender roles and separation the whole trip (only speaking to Trent when discussing the itinerary and paying for meals, hotels, etc but also having upsides like thoughtful privacy for women in security screenings, etc), and then the guy hops up right behind me. Because of all that, I thought maybe I would get the kid.
I guess there are exceptions for camel rides.
Trent preparing to get on his camel.
This was a little scary. The guides are giving us instructions in broken, heavily accented English. We thought we could make out, "Lean forward!" and it's a good thing.
I'm sure the camel has stood up several times in his life, but it sure was a first for us!
A camel is steered by its nose ring, if you want to know.
The rest of day was spent driving back to Delhi. By this time, I was really looking forward to well-maintained roads where everyone stays in their lane.
This stretch of highway was far less travelled than the other roads we had driven on. Consequently, there were no shops or restaurants catering to western tourists. So, our driver stopped at this no-frills restaurant where lots of workers were taking their lunch break, complete with dirt floor, no walls, and lots and lots of flies. We prayed really, really hard over our food.
And it was easily one of tastiest meals we had on our whole trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment