Sunday, July 24, 2011

4th of July

Even though we usually go up to my parents' house for most holidays, the 4th of July festivities were at our house this year. We told the kids that it was America's birthday, and they loved waving around the little flags my mom brought them.

As much as I love our country and appreciate everyone who has done so much for our freedoms, I must admit that our celebration focused mainly on the food this year. Everything turned out so well!


On the menu was:
  • grass-fed brisket (in the crockpot with BBQ sauce)
  • grass-fed rib-eye steaks (Trent did a great job with these)
  • potato salad
  • baked beans
  • Frito's
  • fruit salad (bananas, mango, peaches, pineapple; the secret to an awesome fruit salad is to add a small spoonful of orange juice concentrate over the top; I also added some coconut milk to complete the tropical theme)
  • Lavendar Blue Lemonade (yummy! see the details below)
I've had this recipe forever, but forgot about it in the stack of recipes I had. I recently organized all my recipes into a binder (so proud of that!) and was looking for an occasion to try this out.



Lavender Blue Lemonade

In a 4-qt bowl use the back of a spoon to lightly mash 3 cups blueberries. Add juice from 4 large lemons (1 cup); reserve rinds. Mix juice with 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar. In a saucepan bring 4 cups water and 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons purchased fresh lavender buds to boiling. Pour through a strainer over lemon juice mixture, stir to dissolve sugar. Add lemon rinds. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Remove and discard rinds. Strain through a mesh sieve into a pitcher.

Notes: Sadly, I didn't have fresh lemons, but it still turned out great. I also used about half as many blueberries as it called for.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds so yummy!!!! Where do you get your grass fed meat.we have liked Richardson Farms but always looking for other options. The Lavender Blue lemonade sounds so yummy. I wonder if we could use honey instead. We have loved reading your blog and keeping up with your many adventures.
    The Woodfords- scott and anita

    ReplyDelete