Sunday, December 5, 2010

How to Deep Fry a Snickers Bar





The former Main Exposition Hall.
At the Texas State Fair in Dallas, "fair food" has been taken to a new level. The trend is deep-frying. Vendors deep-fry everything from corndogs to funnel cakes, to fried Coca-cola, fried Oreos, fried Snickers, fried Twinkies, fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and yes, even fried butter. See the past years' awards winners here.

For a year or so, Trent has been wanting to try a fried Snickers bar.
Snickers bar yummy goodness+more fatty goodness=really awesome, right?!

To save ourselves a 7-hr round trip to the fair in Dallas, Trent researched the details of frying everything here in our very own kitchen. Neither of us had ever done this before, and I was a little paranoid (okay, a lot paranoid) about starting a fire with splattering oil on our gas stovetop.

But it was fine, and once we had done the Snickers, the oil was just sitting there waiting for us to try something else. So we plopped in a Wunderbar (for non-Canadians, think of a cross between a Butterfinger and a Reese's Cup). That was even better! Now my wheels were really turning...what else could we try? Bananas? Chocolate-covered bananas? Peanut Butter? We resisted trying anything else that night, and settled for making funnel cakes the next day with the kids.

Note: As I was photographing everything, I realized there was just no way to make it look appetizing on camera. I think the unhealthiness of it all comes shining through, and it just looks gross.

First, we froze 1/2 snickers bars on popsicle sticks, then coated them with a funnel cake batter.



Frying in the oil. (I almost couldn't go through with it. I've never in my life had to pour a 1/2 bottle of Canola oil for use in one sitting.)



Looking deceptively like a corn dog.



The gooey insides of a fried Wunderbar. See, I told you it looked gross, but it was really tasty.



Funnel cake for $.50 instead of $5 at the fair.



5 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever would have uttered "Bates" and "Fried-anything" in the same sentence but all told, I am impressed. Way to get outside of your comfort zone! And save $$ in the process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That deep-fried wunderbar looks really good. I think we have a new lake activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaah, the post I've been waiting for and it did not disappoint! I laughed, I drooled, and now I really want to try it all in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Can you tell more about the funnel cakes? They look interesting. How do you do those? What is in the batter?

    Re the savings on deep frying as opposed to buying ready-made, what is really good is that the money you saved can now be used to buy several more 3 litre jugs of canola oil for more deep frying. Maybe even get a two year supply of oil would be good.

    3. Does a person have to like Wunderbars to like deep-fried Wunderbars. If I would pass on the former, would I still like the latter.

    Thanks for the cooking lesson. I just brought my deep-fryer back from the lake, for our room-mates have been wanting to try French fries. French fries seem pretty pedantic when put up against your ambitious cooking itinerary.

    Arta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking at the list of books you are reading, and I notice 25 Mistakes LDS Parents Make and How to Avoid Them. Any chance you could list the top 5? I am dying to know if I performed 5 out of 5.

    Arta

    ReplyDelete