Thursday, November 4, 2010

2010 Halloween--ole!


It was months ago that we brainstormed our Halloween costumes, and knew that we had hit on something good when we came up with going as a mariachi band. (For our Canadian relatives, you might want to check out this link.)

After seeing some "authentic" sombreros at Party City for $10 a piece, I started crossing my fingers that I could find some plain black hats to embellish. (I have, after all, been saving some pompom fringe since high school because I just knew it would come in handy.) And sure enough, The Dollar Tree did not fail me. 4 black cowboy hats = $4. I love it.

Then, the kids helped me make the cardboard instruments, which may not have happened if I knew they would only hold them for all of 5 seconds while we snapped the picture (sadly, same story with the hats). We traced and drew and sawed the profile out, then painted them.

This picture was taken at Trent's work party, and I couldn't bring myself to wear the mustache. Church party, no problem...I can redeem myself on any one of 52 Sundays that I see those people. Work party...I only see his co-workers two or three times a year, and I didn't want one of those memories to include me with a mustache.

4 comments:

  1. You guys were awesome!

    And I loved that Dollar Tree came through for you AND that you abstained from facial hair for the work gig. Good sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! I try to get Josh to do a family gig each year but he doesn't want to. Maybe this idea will be enticing to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, you make me laugh!
    I love that you saved that pompom fringe since high school. The fact that you knew where to find it when the time came speaks volumes about your organizational skills.
    What a great and original costume idea; you guys all looked great!

    ReplyDelete