Sunday, April 26, 2009

Why I Use Cloth Diapers...and love it!

With Senya, I always felt bad about the mountain of disposable diapers I threw away every week, but not quite bad enough to switch to cloth diapers.  It just seemed like so much work...gross work.  But I was inspired by a few friends who used cloth diapers, and thought that I would give it a try.  I was fully fine with going back to disposables if it didn't work out, so I didn't have anything to lose.

Here are the reasons we are still doing it:
1.  since we aren't buying a hybrid vehicle anytime soon, I figured this is something I can do to leave the world a little better than I found it (each kid will use 1 ton of disposable diapers before they are potty trained)
2.  cloth is so soft (no more plasticky diapers on Ivan's bum)
3.  the washing/laundry is not as much work as I expected
4.  the economics:  we are still calculating exactly how much we save, but most people estimate saving between $400-500 a year (and that's just for one kid)
5.  self-sufficiency
6.  lost art (there have been generations before me who used cloth diapers, and they probably think it's funny that people like me had no idea how to use them)
7.  Snappis, sprayers, Velcro covers (did you know that most people don't use pins anymore?  The diapers nowaways are so easy to use!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying the cloth!
    It really is funny how easy the washing/laundry is. It sounds like so much more work than it is.
    How is Trent feeling about it all? Jon was definitely more okay/into it after about 4 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so awesome. It seems like life is getting better. We need to come up and see you guys!

    ReplyDelete