Warning, this is long! So if you have things to do, skip to the shorter version in the previous post.
At 6:30am on January 25, 2009, Jamie woke up having contractions. Jamie has always has a lot of contractions during pregnancy, so we don’t tend to trust them, but this time they were stronger, and we figured that the baby would come sometime that day. (Our midwife, Michelle had attended a birth the previous day, so we thought we would call her at 7:00 when she was more rested.)
Jamie had several contractions lying in bed as I massaged her back. At 6:53 I called Vicki (Jamie’s mother) and told her to get ready to come down to our house and that Jamie was having contractions. No contractions had been timed up to that point so we agreed I would call her back once Jamie and I knew the situation better. The first contraction I tracked was two minutes apart. It takes about sixty minutes for Vicky to travel down so I called her back. She was already in the shower so I told Stuart (Jamie’s father) that Vicki should hurry and dress for church so she could take Senya when she got here. We were going to have a home birth and wanted to get Senya out of the house since we didn’t think she would react well to it.
After tracking another contraction I called Michelle, the midwife. I told her that the time between contractions was 2 minutes. Jamie told me not to scare her by making it sound more urgent than it was, and she took the phone away from me. I was a little bewildered by Jamie’s reaction because the contractions were two and three minutes apart…definitely urgent. I don’t know any other way you can sugar coat that statement. Looking back, it was obvious that Jamie was in denial, and I was only slightly less in denial. In any case, Michelle was informed and Jamie called up Scottie, the apprentice, and informed her as well.
Jamie went to the bathroom and I decided to bust open the birthing kit and find the plastic sheets for the bed. The instructions on the kit had said not to open it before the birth and sadly we followed those directions because as a result I could not find the plastic sheet. I emptied the whole thing on the floor and I could still not find them. After that Jamie told me to not run around so much because I was stressing her out which made the contractions worse. I was actually enjoying the adrenaline rush, but I took some deep breaths and only ran around when I was out of Jamie’s sight.
When Jamie came back from the bathroom, she laid down and said to call back Michelle right away because she was getting the urge to push. We called Michelle at 7:15 and told her to get here immediately. Michelle (who was already on her way) immediately hung up and we had to call her back up to find out what we could do to slow down the birth. She told me to have Jamie lay on her left side and not to get up under any circumstances and she was going to call Scottie. Luckily Michelle had had the foresight to sleep at her boyfriends place the night before because the streets around her neighborhood had been blocked off due to a marathon going on in the area and it would have taken her forever to get out of there.
At 7:23 Senya walked into our room haven woken up. Thirty seconds later Jamie had a contraction and as mommy began to groan, a sad face of terror slowly appeared on Senya’s face followed quickly by crying. I picked her up and tried to calm her down during the next contraction as he called Jeaneane, their neighbor from down the street. Jeannine didn’t answer so he called their friend Amanda to come over and pick up Senya. On the next contraction Senya started crying again and Daddy foolishly told her to leave the room in a semi-stern voice. Not only did she have to witness Mommy in pain but Daddy sent her away without consoling her. It was a very sad sight when Senya slowly turned away crying. Thankfully Amanda came before the next contraction and Senya was more than happy to leave.
Several weeks prior to this I had already thought that the delivery would go quickly and I had told Jamie that I better not have to deliver this baby. I had also told her to tell Michelle that if I had to deliver the baby I was going to charge her $500.
At this point during the birth I was a little concerned that they would not get there in time, but I wasn’t too worried because Jamie’s water had not broken yet. Little did I know that Jamie’s water broke when she was on the toilet but Jamie only interpreted as really needing to go to the bathroom. I wasn’t as worried as I needed to be, but I still had the brains to look through the birth kit again and I located two large pieces of rectangular plastic and put that under the sheets. I thought it would do since I couldn’t find the plastic sheets. (I was expecting the bed sheets that tuck around the sides, but little did I know those were actually the plastic sheets.)
At this point Jamie had been feeling the urge to push for a while and was trying not to push during contractions but without success. She was applying counter pressure below with her right hand. We are not sure why. Perhaps she was trying to hold the baby in. Jamie kept chanting “please get here Scottie, please get here Scottie”. Jamie had me call up Scottie again who said she was at Parmer driving 95 miles per hour. Scottie saw a cop while she was driving up but happily he had pulled someone over already.
Scottie arrived at 7:40 during a contraction and after the contraction had subsided she took a look below to see how everything was going. She responded that she could see a bulge and that the baby was coming. At this point Jamie was still trying to keep from pushing during the contractions but Scottie told her the baby is coming so push. The next contraction we could see the head.
I was a little weirded out and fascinated at the same time. The scalp was scrunched up like one of those dogs with a wrinkly head. Twice during two contractions Scottie told Jamie that she could reach down and touch the head but Jamie answered “I don’t think I want to do that. Finally the third time Jamie reached down and touched the head and exclaimed “is that the head, it feels like a raisin!”
Michelle arrived at 7:48am and had time to put on one glove. About two to three contractions later the baby was born. Before the baby was born Michelle told me to “get ready to catch the baby”. Daddy was not excited about that and instead of responding “that is what we are paying Scottie and you for, I want a full service birth” I did nothing, much like a deer caught in the headlights. You can’t complain about not wanting to catch a baby or cutting the umbilical cord when you wife is lying there having a baby. Your desires just aren’t important. I was too late to get off the ride and I was going to have to “catch a baby” whatever that meant. I reached down and put a hand under the baby’s back. The baby was a lot slipperier than I expected but I didn’t drop him.
Now up to that point I have to say I was not really into the home birth thing. In fact for Senya I told Jamie that I didn’t care if Jamie used a midwife but we were not going to have the baby at home. This time though we wanted to choose a midwife that had a lot of experience and we realized that that meant we would be having the baby at home. It took a while for me to come to terms with that. Now I had heard many people say how beautiful homebirth is and even heard one account where the children attending the birth spontaneously started singing the song “I am a child of God”. I didn’t have any illusions of grandeur about a home birth. Last time was so traumatic that I all I wanted was mother and son to be healthy with as little pain as possible. I saw birth was something you had to endure so that you could have a child. So when I reached down and caught the baby was very very surprised that I started tearing up and I was totally getting chocked up. I brought the crying gurgling baby up to mommy’s chest where she was also surprised how slimy the baby was.
Born at 7:55am Ivan Darren Bates was 9 pounds 6 oz, 21.5 inches and 7 days overdue.
Vicki arrived about 20 minutes later and we had Amanda drop Senya back at our place. Senya was excited when she first saw Ivan and she her first words regarding Ivan were “baby Ivan little fingers, Daddy big fingers, Mommy big fingers, Senya … [thinking] … big fingers.”
When we called Wyona (my mom) and told her his name, Wyona told us how her father’s uncle was named Ivan and he was a rabble rouser and a trouble maker. All we can say is that we hope Ivan lives up to his unintended namesake.
No comments:
Post a Comment